Thursday, April 22, 2010

Groundless Fear or Valid Point(s)...???

This interest all began when my mother-in-law gave me a list of books (was not 100) and asked me to find out why they were banned from being read in some public schools.

Now, I've already read some of the books on the Top 100 (list acquired from www.ala.org), but in the interest of this blog, I'm going to re-read them. What I'm intending to do is start with the least challenged book (#100) and work my way up to the most challenged book (#1). Before I begin reading, I will post a blog with book info (title, author, overview of book, etc.) and then give you the reasons I found as to why it's a banned/challenged book. I will post various blogs during the course of my reading the book. Once it's finished, I will post my opinion on whether I find the banned/challenged reasons valid.

I don't expect anybody to join me in reading these books, but if you would like to I would welcome the comments to any or all of my blogs.

I don't know how long this will take me to work thru all 100 titles/series, so I'm not even going to begin to give myself a time limit.

Some books I'm sure I will find boring, while I find others exciting and easy to read. However, throughout it all I'm hoping to expand my literary knowledge and to develop a deeper appreciation of the written word.... which, to me, is losing its ground in this new technological phase this world has entered into over the past 20 years.

So, join me on my journey thru the Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000 - 2009!

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment