Sunday, September 12, 2010

Grendel: A Summary

I don't know what I was exactly expecting from this book, but here's my summary of it...

Summary:  This book focuses on Grendel and the latter part of his existence.  It's told in first person from Grendel's point of view.

Banned Reasons:  I couldn't find anything online that specifically stated why this book was banned or challenged.  I did find where people suggested it was banned/challenged due to Grendel's violence and view of the world.

Do I agree with the book being banned/challenged?  In a way, yes.

As I read a book, I generally picture it in my mind as I'm reading.  I found the depiction of Grendel's violence in the book a little disturbing.  Whether my disturbed feelings came from the actual reading of the book or the pictures in my mind I was creating as I was reading the book I'm not sure, but I feel it may have been a little bit of both.  Because I would not have created those images in my mind if the scenes I was reading weren't so aptly depicted.

As for Grendel's view of his world and that around him ... I'm sure there are people that think and believe as Grendel, but the majority of people I know have a stronger basis in reality than Grendel.  At first, Grendel believed that there was one Being that created everything and everyone.  As he got older, those beliefs didn't suit Grendel.  I believe it may have been because Grendel was going thru his pubescent phase where a lot of questions arise about self and people in general.  He felt his life was out of control, so to gain a semblance of control, Grendel started believing that his world was what he said it was.  For example, he would believe a tree existed because he said it did.  In essence, he was "playing" God in his mind and he was becoming self-delusional enough to believe it to be true.

I found myself feeling a little sad for Grendel.  He had nobody to speak with, nobody to confide in and those he tried to speak to viewed him as monstrous and were afraid of him.  Grendel was lonely and his loneliness assisted in his viewing the world as he did... where only he existed and everything existed because of him.

Overall:  While this book may not be politically or socially correct, I did enjoy the book.  I think anybody at an advanced reading level (no matter the age) would be able to read and understand the book... even if they didn't agree with story.

No comments:

Post a Comment